Tuesday, January 08, 2002

AND THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW...
Monday was my first official day as an adjunct professor at the University of Central Florida. Everybody who works there is great, but the students in my class - seniors, mind you - generally act like arrogant high schoolers. Lazy, ill-prepared and unconcerned. Not all of them, but enough to make one wonder what the fuck they're doing in college (even a state school like this). I've been told these students are something of a write-off so I shouldn't drive myself crazy worrying about them. Their current two-year program is being replaced with a four-year program next year. They're the last group of their kind. I get the feeling they will pass the class simply by showing up.

Welcome to the world of higher education. I'm trying hard to recall if I was so sullen and jaded when I went to school. I don't remember it, but that might be revisionist thinking on my part. Maybe I too sat in the back and avoided eye contact with the teacher? Maybe this is all just another sign that I'm getting to be an old man. Those damn kids have gotta get off their asses!

On a positive note, I saw two student projects which looked excellent. I guess I'll just have to focus on the good, at least for now.

No comments: