Wednesday, January 09, 2002

A NEW LOW
I hate telemarketers. I particularly hate those pre-recorded message telemarketers who call during the afternoon in hopes of leaving a message on your answering machine while you're at work. If you pick up (as I often do when I work at home), there's a two second or more pause while the call is routed to a human who usually mis-pronounces your name then starts the pitch.

A new trend has been the pre-recorded message that sounds like a real person, with lots of uhhhs and stutters. My favorite comes from Dish Networks. Uhhh...Hi. My name is Cliff and uhhh...I wanted to let you know that we're in your neighborhood this week installing Dish Network. If...uhhh...you're interested, we have a great special going on now.

Today, we hit new low in telemarketing. The phone rings, I pick it up. A pre-recorded message says - with a Southern accent no less - Oh. Hey, I'm sorry. I must have the wrong number. Bye.

I guess they've even dumped the human back-ups for those answered calls. Come to think of it, maybe this is an improvement for the industry?

No comments: