Thursday, April 04, 2002

OSX OH NOOOOO!
Harry in Winter Park got a new iMac and was so proud, he called me over to check it out. I told him Lovely and installed a few key shareware items. The next morning, I got a call from him saying the machine had crashed and crashed badly. I figured No problem , a few minutes and I'll have it working like new.

Oh man...his machine fucked.

I got it a bit better, but it was crashing right and left. Eventually, it got worse and worse and finally won't start up from disc or UNIX . Ugly. There are some bad B-Tree errors and catalog problems and maybe a hardware issue. I spent all afternoon trying to nurse it back to health, all to no avail. On the plus side, it's all under warranty and we found somebody locally who can save the necessary data before reinstalling the software.

This is all slightly funnier when you consider that just three hours before the machine crashed, I was blabbing about how stable OSX is. Well...it has been for me, what can I say?

No comments: