Wednesday, June 30, 2004

HOT CRUSTY SPAM
I am fascinated by the business of sending spam email. I know the odds are in your favor - send a billion emails and somebody will click the link - but does anyone really apply for a home loan based on an email? Does anyone except the spammer make any money?

I've also been wondering why my email filters haven't blocked the recent cascade of home loan spam emails. I think I figured it out tonight. Check out the email I got:

Sorry for taking so long. I finally found that site you were
asking me about.
Remember, the one that I used to get a great r\ate on my home
l o an? I was just looking around the other day and they offer
r a te s at only 2.5 %. I am sure they can help you out.
this link

Please let me know how it goes.

Talk to you soon,
James


Notice that they don't spell the words rate or loan correctly, thereby defeating filters based on catching those words. Even the 2.5% is typed with an extra space between the 5 and % for the same effect.

You learn something new every day. Even so, I'm not applying for a new home loan.

No comments: